Flood often occurs when the heavy rainfall comes in a short period. This can be a very hazardous weather disaster in some countries. Not only it can cause a flooding area, but it can also provoke power outages, damage infrastructure, trigger landslides, damaged buildings, wet carpets and even worse it can be a deadly disaster. Flood is not only caused by heavy rainfall, but other commons also cause broken dams, overflowing rivers, storm surges, tsunamis, and many more. Flooding can bring the biggest threat to people which is the storm. This can lead to a more dangerous situation. You may get panic when a flood arises in your house. Therefore, it is important to recognize what to do first to get safety when the flood occurs.
Here are some steps you need to know when a flood occurs.
- Be prepared with an emergency plan. An emergency kit is urgently needed when you need to evacuate. Don’t forget to always bring the small first aid kit with you, because you might need it if you get into an accident during the disaster. Charge any batteries or any reusable batteries for flashlights. When the flood comes, it usually leads to the power outages. If there is any potential of a flash flood coming, go to a higher place immediately to get safe.
- Move important items to an upper place like electronic devices or items that can get easily damaged. Make sure that they are dry and kept in a place away from the water, if possible.
- Turn off all the switches that have electrical power in your house. Disconnect all electrical appliances to avoid any electric shock or burning. Avoid the use of electrical appliance in the home that is affected by floodwater.
- During a flood, avoid low spots, like basement, underpasses, and ditches. Do not walk through the flooding areas or even driving in the area. It will be difficult to determine how deep the flood is. That could bring you into a danger. Go to the higher place, until the floodwater cannot reach you.
- Avoid driving in the flooded areas. It will be dangerous when you are stuck between the floods. The flood can turn off the vehicle machine automatically that results in the car damaged. In that situation, you will likely get stuck between the floods.
- Don’t forget to always keep updated with the information. When a flash flood likely to happen, there is usually an official announcement to stay away from house to evacuate to a safer place. If you get the news, act immediately following the information.
Those steps can be used during the flood. We never know when the flood will come, so we have to be aware and ready for the time. Protecting yourself ahead of time can be good for you. Avoid building your dwellings in a floodplain – an area that is risky of flood after heavy rain. If your home has a big possibility for the flood to come, it would be wise to make some barriers in your home to stop the floodwater from entering your building. Don’t forget to always pay attention to the weather forecast to keep updated whether there is heavy rain or storm to keep an eye for yourself.
After the flood, you will potentially clean and dry your home appliance. If you need help to get through all those processes, you can always call experts in flood restoration Sydney. They will help you restore your home and inspect if there are any invisible damages.