A magnetic screen door attaches to your regular screen door, and allows you to open the screen without letting flies and bugs inside while keeping the bugs outside of your home. This means that you can enjoy summer without having to deal with pesky insects invading your living space. If you’re thinking about installing a magnetic screen door on your own, follow these simple instructions to get started. They’ll walk you through measuring, ordering, and installing your new magnetic screen door in only an hour or two!
Magnetic screen doors allow you to keep your pet, bugs and children inside while still allowing fresh air in. Magnetic screen doors are very effective at keeping bugs out of your home, but they also don’t let in as much cool or warm air as normal doors. You will need basic tools and supplies to install magnetic screen door, but most hardware stores sell kits that make installation simple.
Tools you need
You will need to purchase or borrow (from your friendly neighborhood hardware store) tools necessary to install your magnetic screen door. Magnetic screen doors are different from traditional screen doors as you don’t have to drill into your door frames, making installation easier and cleaner. You do, however, need to buy or borrow some tools like a screwdriver and some wire cutters. For most of these magnetic screen doors, there is no drilling necessary.
When it comes to magnetic screen doors, they’re really pretty easy to install—but in case you need help with any part of it, below is a step-by-step guide. Keep in mind that these instructions are specifically for front doors with side lights. You can find further installation information on several online magnetic screen door retailers’ websites. Good luck!
(1) Start by removing your existing storm door and/or sidelights (if applicable). This should be fairly straightforward if you have experience working with tools. If not, don’t worry: there are plenty of instructional videos available online that will walk you through every step of removing your old storm door and installing your new magnetic screen door.
(2) Measure your doorway and cut two pieces of mesh to fit each side. You’ll want to make sure that you measure your doorway at its widest point, as you don’t want either piece of mesh to be too narrow. If you’re having trouble getting a precise measurement, use painter’s tape or another type of masking tape to mark off an outline around where you think it should go—then measure from there. As with most things in life, it’s better to have too much than not enough!
(3) Once you’ve measured, take one of your pieces of mesh and lay it flat on top of one side light. Make sure that both sides are lined up evenly and then trace around it using a pencil. Repeat on the other side light.
(4) Take both sides back outside and carefully cut out along your lines using scissors or a utility knife. Be careful when cutting; if you slip, you could end up cutting yourself!
(5) When you’re done cutting, bring them back inside and place them over your sidelights again. They should fit snugly against the existing door frame without any gaps between them.
(6) Next, install your magnetic screen door hardware according to manufacturer instructions.